Please note: International City's Country Clusters which contain thousands of apartments is one of the 60 major communities in freehold Dubai where Lookup.ae reports quarterly prices. We track studio & 1 bedroom performance in International City country clusters and this data can be viewed in more detail under this section's Transaction Prices and Historic Data sections. Lookup.ae does not report prices for private developments within International City, nor are we reporting on International City Phase 3.
- In terms of supply numbers, International City is the largest and most affordable single housing development in freehold Dubai. There are over 22,000 residential apartments in this community spread over 485 predominantly low-rise buildings that are built around country clusters (e.g. England, Morroco, France etc).
- International City spans some 300 hectares and has 22,000 apartments in its residential district which is divided into clusters of buildings – England, France, Italy, Spain, Persia, China, Morocco, Russia, Indonesia, Thailand and Emirates.
- The residential district consists of apartment buildings with 2, 3 or 4 floors including retail & office space on the ground floors. There is little structural difference between buildings in the different clusters. Noticeable differences design features which are aesthetic rather than functional. However, some clusters are valued higher than others due to location, inhabitants and some other factors.
- Apartments in the country themed clusters are either studios (479 sq. ft.) or 1 Bedrooms (716 sq. ft.).
Back in 2007-2008, two major districts for International City were announced – Lake District & Forbidden City. Both projects were subsequently shelved due to the effects of the global and local crisis’.
- There is another district within International City called the CBD area which consists of about 20 - 30 mid-rise apartment buildings developed by private developers.
General Observations on International City Country Clusters
- In general, the most highly sought after buildings are Spain, England, Italy and Emirates Cluster. These buildings are more family friendly, have better locations and are generally cleaner.
- Because of its lower price points and large number of properties, International City consistently ranks as one of the communities where we see the largest number of transactions in any given quarter.
- International City is very actively traded especially with smaller investors particularly from investors based in India, Pakistan, China and expatriates living in Dubai with smaller investment budgets.
- Many Chinese expatriates live and work in this area in Dragon Mart
- The take-up of apartments is quite rapid, in some cases apartments can rent within 24 - 48 hours of coming onto the market.
- There are the odd deals that come out which are below the market, and keen investors need to be working with area experts in order to grab these kind of opportunities.
Living in International City
International City is an affordable area and is inhabited by thousands of bachelors and small families. Many of the apartments are sub-let and shared by groups of bachelors. These residents live and work in all parts of Dubai. Parking is not designated and there is usually plenty of parking available for residents and visitors around every cluster. Public transportation is available in the form of buses and taxis.
Residents have hundreds of supermarkets, restaurants and other retail stores to choose from from across the community. Nearly every building has at least 4 - 7 retail shops on the ground floor, and the occupancy rate for retail in the community is over 90%. The Dragon Mart, which is one of the largest trading hub for Chinese products outside of China, is located in International City and is a major employment driver. The center attracts thousands of visitors from across Dubai everyday.
Future Demand Drivers
- The extension of Dragon Mart will revitalize International City and propel demand for housing.
- A future Metro line is expected to run across Mohammad bin Zayed Road (and pass through International City). While those plans were put on-hold previously, it is likely that this infrastructure will be developed at some point in the future.
- In October 2013, Nakheel launched a townhouse community in International City by the name of Warsan Village which consists of townhouses and apartments. This project is currently under-construction.