Please note: Downtown Dubai is one of the 60 major communities in freehold Dubai where Lookup.ae reports quarterly prices. We track apartment prices of various quality and this data can be viewed in more detail under this section's Transaction Prices and Historic Data sections.
Downtown Dubai was announced in 2003 with the Burj Khalifa (then known as Burj Dubai) being the headline grabber as the tallest building in the world. The community is master-developed by Emaar Properties and most of the developments within Downtown are by Emaar themselves (only a handful of projects are by private developers). Since Emaar have developed over 90% of the community, the quality & consistency of the development has been maintained.
The center-piece of this project is of-course the Burj Khalifa, but there are a dozen other complexes and stand alone residential buildings. Except for a couple of projects, all the buildings in Downtown Burj Dubai are developed by Emaar themselves – therefore the quality & standard of the community has been maintained. We have classified the residential buildings in this community as either High-end or Luxury.
As of Q1 2016, the following residential buildings are ready:
- Burj Khalifa: Luxury
- The Residences: 9 buildings, Luxury
- Southridge: 6 buildings, High-end
- Old Town: 35 low-rise buildings; high-end
- 29 Boulevard: 2 high-rise buildings; high-end
- Boulevard Central: 2 mid-rise buildings; high-end
- Standpoint: 2 buildings; high-end
- The Lofts: 3 buildings; high-end
- Burj Views: 3 buildings; high-end
- Burj Al Nujoom; high-end
As of Q1 2016, the following residential buildings are under-construction:
- Address Residence Dubai Opera: luxury, completion in 2019
- Boulevard Heights: high-end, completion in 2018
- Boulevard Crescent: high-end, 2 buildings, completion in 2018
- Boulevard Point: high-end, completion in 2018
- Burj Vista: high-end, 2 buildings, completion in 2018
- Damac Upper Crest: high-end, completion in 2016
- Downtown Views: high-end, completion in 2019
- Forte: 2 buildings; high-end, completion in 2019
- Mada Residences: high-end, completion in 2018
- Mon Reve: high-end, completion in 2017
- Opera Grand: luxury, completion in 2019
- The 118: high-end, completion in 2017.
Hotels & Hotel Serviced Apartments
The following hotel / hotel serviced apartment projects are ready:
- Armani Hotel inside Burj Khalifa
- Address Lake Hotel (currently in-operational since a fire on New Year's Eve 2015
- Address Dubai Mall
- Qamardeen Hotel, Old Town
- VIDA Downtown
The following are the under-construction hotel / hotel serviced apartment projects in Downtown Dubai:
- Address BLVD: completion in 2016
- Address Fountain Views: 3 buildings, completion in 2017.
- Address Sky Views: 2 buildings, completion in 2018.
- Vida Downtown: completion in 2019
- VIDA Residence Downtown
There are a handful of commercial buildings - Emaar Square – which consists of six low-rise buildings hosting mainly major financial institutions and the Emaar sales center. There is also the Boulevard Plaza which is Grade A office space right across from Burj Khalifa. Burj Khalifa itself has 33 floors of office space. No other office space is currently under-construction or planned in the Downtown area (as of Feb 2016). The below image shows the commercial area of Downtown Dubai:
Downtown Dubai is a major retail destination:
Dubai Mall: one of the largest malls in the world. In 2014, Emaar claimed that over 80 million people visited the mall making it one of the major retail destinations in the world. The mall has 1,200 outlets,200 restaurants, 14,000 car park allocation. Dubai Mall has a total gross leasable area of 5.4 million sq. ft. built over 4 floors.
Souk Al Bahar: designed to resemble an old Souq, this complex consists of 100 shops & 22 restaurants. Souk Al Bahar also connects with the Dubai Mall.
Retail along Mohammad bin Rashid Boulevard: nearly all the residential buildings along Mohammad bin Rashid Boulevard have a mix of retail - mainly restaurants and cafes.
Downtown Retail Promenade: this is planned and will be built between the Dubai Mall extension and the Opera House. Render below;
Dubai Mall extensions: 3 extensions are underway. One is right next to the existing Dubai Mall and will be completed by 2016. Two other extensions are planned at the foot of the Fountain Views complex and the Downtown Views. The below render shows the mall extension under the Downtown Views project: